11.30.2008

The Natural State


Howdy there, I'm back!
As my welcome back post, thought I'd say Happy Thanksgiving and hello again. Over Halloween I made the journey up to Fayetteville, Arkansas for my very first Razorback football game. The game and the campus itself were so reminiscent of College Station...meaning, completely fun and wonderful. What happened outside of the game was what made the trip have character.

Friday night my mom decides that she wants to go out with her old high school buddies and leaves my sisters and I to our own devices. We spend our Halloween night in the local mall surrounded by small children in really cute costumes and large children dressed as Paris Hilton. Dinner consisted of 2 smoothies and a coffee for myself. We're heading back to my crazy Grammy's house in my mom's car, when we get totally lost. We're lost in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and not the pretty part either. I decide to be cute and pull out the iphone, assuming that my GPS will come to the rescue and point me in the right direction. Mom doesn't want to talk on the phone longer than enough to tell us that Grammy lives on "33rd street".

Did you know that Fort Smith has MULTIPLE 33rd streets?

Neither did I.
45 minutes upon leaving the mall, we thankfully landed in the front yard of Grammy's house (she doesn't have a driveway) and we completed what is normally a ten minute drive.
Much of me wishes I were traipsing through Uptown with my Wonder-Woman clad best friend on Halloween night at 4 am instead. :)
This was just Friday. On the drive to and from Fayetteville on Saturday, I saw lots of things in the back of trucks. I wish I would have taken pictures. My favorite things that people were hauling would have been:
3. Plastic Santa Claus
2. Gigantic Deer Head
1. Rock Climbing Wall

And who said Arkansans were only used to scaling the Ozarks? Apparently, they like their textured polyurethane-covered multiplex board too as much as the next guy.
All in all the trip was pretty fun. Arkansas is really beautiful, and the University's campus is very impressive. Makes me proud to say I'm a native of THE Natural State.


No comments: